Connie tagged me for the "8 random things about me" meme, and since it's the first time I've been tagged, I thought it would be bad luck not to jump in. It did take some introspection to come up with 8 things, after the "6 weird things" and the "10 things" (which, thank goodness, was not the "100 things" which some bloggers have tackled).
1) When I was in 2nd grade, the teacher went around the class asking everyone what their middle name was, and I was so embarrassed by my Chinese one (Yee Mei) that I resolved to answer "Gertrude" when my turn came. Which it never did. Saved by the bell. Literally.
2) Several years ago I noticed that my right earring hung lower than my left, and I realized that this was a consequence of one ear being set lower than the other. (Not uncommon, is my understanding--but peculiar that I never noticed during my first 30-odd years on the planet.)
3) I abhor smelly sponges and dishtowels. My preferred method of dealing with them is to pick them up with tongs and throw them away.
4) A friend of my husband decided to look at the sun and moon signs of everyone he knew, and determine how compatible everyone was with their spouses, etc. It turns out I was-- am-- a perfect match for his son.
5) I often find myself knitting on slow speed--that's when you have to pause to roll the dice or flip the card, or whatever it is you have to do during your game turn. Hey, the kids like to play board games. (They can't watch TV and play video games 24/7, after all; or, they could, but it would destroy my motherly self-esteem.)
6) My usual Monopoly piece is the boot. This allows for witty trash talk like "My boot is going to kick your dog's butt." Or, the strangely pleasing, "My boot is going to kick your cannon's butt."
7) I am the opposite of a pack rat.
8) I get cravings for chili, Mom's egg rolls, artichokes, and pumpkin pie. But my favorite comfort food may well be the layer of browned rice on the bottom of the rice pot.
I think many have already done this meme; if not--consider yourself tagged!